Chana Dal Root Vegetable Soup with Coconut Milk and Cilantro
Soup - I love soup. I cannot get enough when the weather turns. I eat it for Breakfast, lunch or dinner. Soup is a great way to get everything you need in one bowl. I Can live on soup and this is the first of many I will share with you!
This soup will warm your soul and fill your belly with comfort. For me, since I am unable to have dairy I long for creamy foods that give me that same satisfaction, especially now with the weather turning cold here in CT. The coconut milk gives that delicious creamy taste I long for.
This soup is incredibly easy and fast to make which is nice when you don't have a lot of time. Who has time anymore? I know I don't and I cook for a living!
The recipe given makes six quarts of soup. I know that seems like a lot to make if you are just making it for your family but I promise you it makes the most sense. It freezes great and will save you time down the road for another meal on another day...even a month from now! The freezer is your friend people... remember that.
Split chickpeas.. protein rich, high in fiber, low glycemic and a plant food! Win, win I say...
This soup is vegan but if you prefer to use chicken broth that is fine also. I have made it both ways but I usually go for vegetable broth in my soups because you cannot tell the difference and that way I can please everyone!
2 TBS COCONUT OIL
1 LARGE YELLOW ONION SMALL DICE
6 CLOVES OF PEELED CHOPPED GARLIC
1 LARGE TBS OF CHOPPED GINGER
4 STALKS OF CELERY SMALL DICE
4 CARROTS PEELED AND DICED
6 PARSNIPS PEELED AND DICED (your veggies should be around the same size as your onion dice)
2 LBS OF CHANA DAL OR RED LENTILS (see below post) SOAKED FOR 30 MIN IN COLD WATER AND THEN RINSE
3 TOMATOES SEEDED AND CHOPPED OR ONE CAN OF CHOPPED TOMATOES 3 QUARTS OF VEGETABLE STOCK OR CHICKEN STOCK (12 CUPS)
2 TSP CUMIN
2 VEGETABLE BOUILLON (I use Rapunzel; no salt added)
2- 11 OUNCE CONTAINERS OR CANS OF FULL FAT COCONUT MILK
2 TSP SAMBEL OLEK OR SRIRACHA (optional)
CILANTRO AND LIME JUICE TO TASTE
1. YOUR STOVE SHOULD BE ON MEDIUM HIGH HEAT
2. CHOP ALL OF YOUR VEGETABLES AHEAD
3. MELT THE COCONUT OIL IN YOUR SOUP POT
I don't measure when I cook. that's the fun part...throwing things together. But I know it is not always easy for people who don't cook often. Which is why I am supplying a recipe for you to follow...BUT with certain things I will encourage you to wing it. Use your eye, use your taste buds. You are the chef in your kitchen. You have the executive decision. If you don't like spice leave it out....want more cilantro throw more in. Be crazy like that...
4. ONCE THE COCONUT OIL IS MELTED ADD IN YOUR ONIONS, GINGER& GARLIC. THROW SOME SEA SALT IN THERE AND COVER THE POT FOR A FEW MINUTES TO SWEAT. ADD IN YOUR CELERY, CARROTS, PARSNIPS.
5. MIX THE VEG IN WITH THE ONIONS AND THEN COVER THE POT AGAIN TO SWEAT THE VEG. MAKE SURE YOUR HEAT IS ON MEDIUM SO IT DOES NOT BURN. SWEAT THE VEG FOR A FEW MINUTES UNTIL THEY START TO FEEL TENDER. AT THIS TIME PUT IN YOUR BOUILLON CUBES, & CUMIN, STIR.
6. COOK FOR 2 MIN THEN PUT YOUR RINSED LENTILS OR CHANA DAL IN THE POT. MIX EVERYTHING TOGETHER AND ADD IN THE TOMATOES, STOCK& BAY LEAVES.
7. BRING YOUR SOUP TO A SIMMER AND THEN TURN TO LOW. COOK UNTIL THE CHANA DAL IS TENDER. Lets say 25 min...that sounds right and if it's not cook it longer.
Trust yourself, you will know!
8. ONCE THE CHANA DAL IS TENDER ADD IN THE 2 CONTAINERS OF COCONUT MILK LIME JUICE AND CHOPPED CILANTRO TO TASTE.
9. SRIRACHA OR SAMBEL OLEC SHOULD ALSO BE TO TASTE AND CAN BE LEFT OUT IF YOU DO NOT LIKE SPICE.
10. SEASON WITH SALT & PEPPER
Another thing I love to add in when heating the soup up is spinach. I like to do this fresh each time so the spinach stays nice and bright green. Remember soups intensify with flavor the more they sit so this will actually be better the next day! When Filling your containers to freeze...make sure not to fill to the top. When the soup freezes it will expand and if you fill to the top it will pop off. OK, so that's it, my first Blog Recipe! I hope you will try this and please give feedback. Happy Soup days are here people, if you live in a cold climate. And If you are in the warmth, I don't want to hear about it unless you are inviting me for a visit!
ITEMS USED IN THIS RECIPE FOUND AT WHOLE FOODS